The new “Sofi Varvitsioti” Care Unit for the Children’s Safety has started to operate at the 2nd Pediatric Clinic of the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, at the Children’s Hospital “P. & A. Kyriakou”. The new unit is the first specialized hospital area for the examination and interdisciplinary treatment of children suspected to have been abused and/or neglected.
In the appropriately equipped area of the University of Athens, members of the new Unit are able to:
- Assess, in collaboration with the respective attending doctors of the Hospital, possible incidents of abused children within a multidisciplinary team.
- Examine these children and their families.
- Regularly record incidents and ensure timely and proper management.
- Provide systematic information services to the general public and to carry out preventive actions to protect children from violence and neglect.
- Provide specialized information and advice to doctors who manage incidents across the country.
- Coordinate the actions of trained pediatricians serving in university hospitals of our country. Develop innovative educational programs for all categories of professionals involved in caring for children at risk for all forms of abuse and neglect.
The opening ceremony took place on Tuesday (05/06/2018) in the presence of the President of the Hellenic Republic, Prokopis Pavlopoulos. I. Varvitsiotis family and Dimitrios & Blanche Lambropoulos Foundation, in cooperation with ELIZA Organization, honoring the offer of Sofí Varvitsioti, made a significant donation for the creation of the “Sofi Varvitsioti” Care Unit for the Children’s Safety. Sofi Varvitsioti was an active member of the Board of Directors of the Society against Child Abuse – ELIZA and had developed significant action to protect children.